Wednesday, October 6, 2010

What do you mean you're 8 months old?!

How do 8 months fly by so quickly? I have two very different perceptions of time that all fall within the last 8 months:
1. Time seemed to move ever-so-slowwwwwly during those first eh--two months or so (can we say sleep deprivation?!).
2. Now- the weeks just go by so quickly! Example: my little baby is now 8 months old! (and I'm eternally celebrating my 29th birthday from here on out!)

So, what's occurred since my last blog on 9/11 (I'm a slacker):
*Gavin has more syllables in his repertoire: ma-ma (yay!!); dee dee; buh, buh (he's also doing this clickly noise recently with his tongue).
* He's holding the sippy cup all by himself and has NO self-control. He tries to drink the whole thing in one tilt! He seems to think that water is the best thing ever(besides Mommy's milk, of course) so we'll try to keep it that way for as long as possible.
*No crawling yet but lots of rolling around and scooching of the legs but still going backwards :) I'm really trying to remind myself that it's OK to not rush crawling.
*He's getting close to the milestone of a pincer grasp
*New foods: He's enjoying cheerios, and small pieces of cheese, cooked veggies and fruits. He also had some hashbrowns (the shredded kind). Scout and Molly are starting to realize that Gavin really does come with perks!
*Giggling---he's been doing this for at least a couple months but I LOVE IT and why not mention it again; it's always fun to find new ways to make him giggle.
*SLEEPING THROUGH THE NIGHT: Yay, Mommy was consistent and he now sleeps until at least 5:30. I do NOT get him out of the crib until 6am. This is the new learning he's doing; if I started getting him out at that time now- it probably would continue for years to come. So, if he wakes at 5:30- I stay in bed until/if it gets to an urgent cry and go pat and shush him until 6 (not a minute sooner). THIS IS HARD TO DO but I know it will pay off. At 6- I turn the lamp on and say "good morning" and nurse him so he gets the idea. I have a GREAT sleep book for babies that is really balanced with reasonable guidelines and suggestions. Here's the author's website- click HERE. I've seen her book at the library as well if you don't want to buy it.
*Teeth meeting nipple=ouch. He's only done it once so far and it wasn't as bad as I anticipated from all of the horror stories I've heard but it wasn't a laughing matter, either. He got a bit startled when he felt me pull back and wince; I then said no biting Mommy- we'll see if that works.

It's 10:00 and I'm ready for bed. Mommyhood is so rewarding and I'm thankful every day for God's blessing of Gavin to John and I. Each night as I'm rocking him I say a little prayer of this thankfulness and hope that one day Gavin will know God and desire a relationship with him, too.

I'll have some great pictures after this weekend- we're going to the pumpkin patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment