
10 years ago, really? American soil under attack- such significance to this. I can imagine it will stick in my memory much like those who were alive when Pearl Harbor (1941) was under attack will remember that tragedy; both resulting in a war.
I was an undergrad student working part-time at the same medical office where my Mom worked. Mom was not at work that day but down the hill at the same medical park at an opthalmologist appointment with her father who was having eye surgery (who fought in WWII in the airforce following Pearl Harbor attack). I worked at the front desk checking people in and could see the footage on the t.v. in our reception area. I remember it all being surreal and- living in Florida- feeling somewhat oddly removed but scared at the same time.
I walked down to the opthalmologist clinic to make sure my Mom knew what was going on. They had seen the coverage on the t.v. in the reception room they were in. I could see the fear on my Mom's face- her thoughts were about what would happen next, because my brother was in the Navy at this point. Now that I have a child- I can only imagine the thoughts that went through my Mom's mind. She NEVER would go see the movie Pearl Harbor because my brother was military (not to mention stationed twice in Honolulu).
This WHOLE memory is part of my BEFORE/AFTER category of memories. This was BEFORE my Mom passed away. While this whole event is a sad one, it actually holds some positive value in my mind because it involves my Mom being alive. I am happy that she was there during such a time of uncertainty.
Fast forward 10 years later to today. LOTS have occurred both on personal and a national levels in 10 years, yet watching the footage from the day of the attacks is still very frightening and sad. One of the most alarming parts of that day that I think I purposefully pushed out of my mind was the fact that some people in the towers chose to jump to their deaths rather than burn to death. Being reminded of this is just as jarring as the day of all the footage.
Those lives lost and all effected by this horrible, senseless tragedy will never be forgotten. I am thankful for those who have provided service both as civilians (firefighters, law enforcement, medical personnel, etc.) and those in the military for our freedom and helping us on a daily basis.
No comments:
Post a Comment