Monday, November 21, 2011

Weekend wrap-up and SLEEP regression?!

Friday I was off work due to thinking I had pink eye--thankfully did not end up being the case.  I have had more weird stuff health-wise take place post baby than ever before.  Apparently another lovely side effect of being a Mom more than just myself has experienced. (Raised eyebrow to childbirth and hormones and mommyhood!).

Our weekend included the following:
- mall play area (germ central--whoohoo)
-fall get-together with John's friends' family= rain invaded the party this year, which equaled headache trying to keep G entertained and not too soaked by the weather. Great food- though!
- 5.5 mile jog. Nothing exciting about that but definitely need to buy new soles for my shoes; my toes are burning 3/4 of the way through- ouch!  Also need to download a new GPS app for my phone; the current one is pretty fickle with when it decides to map my distance now-a-days.
- Park fun with G- he gained the confidence this time to venture out on his own and really use the playground equipment; minus me showing him how.  It was a lot of fun!

Tell me why is it that my toddler will eat green bell peppers but not mac n cheese or casseroles?  He also had his first taste of dill pickle this weekend- he kept putting it in his mouth but making a sour (ick) face--then doing it again.  Hilarious.

Sleep regression--what the heck, no way?! I thought this was over or maybe I just tried to pretend all sleep issues were over.  Gaving was sleeping 13+ hours per night with NO issues before the recent time change.  He now will not sleep past 7am again- kick me. Within the past week he has begun to have the "scaries."  I was thinking maybe it was some sickness because he would wake whining/crying- but that is not the case (that would have been a quick fix). 
I do not want to get in to the habit of bringing him in to our bed: that would be a headache to put a stop to AND I don't sleep well at all with him in our bed (I try to only allow him to sleep there when he's sick).  So, in the meantime- I am also not sleeping that well while trying to do the "shuffle" and keep him out of our bed. You can read more about it at http://www.sleeplady.com/.  The author is an LCSW (some bias there- go Social Workers!) and it is the only sleep book I've decided to stick to since he was born.  It has a pretty balanced approach that works for us.  The shuffle has worked in the past within just a few days--I just wasn't seeing the need for it again--surprise, surprise! The kid has gotten smarter so the shuffle is taking longer this go-round.  Please, please, please God let my kid get back to sleeping well VERY.SOON.

It is messing with my sanity to not have those precious couple hours at the end of the day to myself. :)  Let's not mention what waking in the middle of the night is doing to my sanity!

Oh- I made THIS for last week's work Thanksgiving meal (sweet potato casserole):
The wine was an added bonus--this was like a night before the current downward spiral that is sleep regression/scared of the dark for Gavin.  When I could actually DO something and enjoy a glass of wine at the end of the night.  I have confidence this will soon return--please please please!
Thanks to Stephanie for my pimped out (birthday) wine glass. :)

Next project on my current to do list: inventory and purge toys G no longer plays with.  If I had the storage space for if/when we have a 2nd child- I would keep them (most of them); but we just don't so it is what it is.  Going to take pics and post on Craigstlist; make some extra money.

I found THIS website today- has great ideas for learning and busy activities for toddlers and preschoolers.  What a great site and smart Mama!

And lastly- thankful today for these blessings:
- Watching my dear son venture out and try new activities with confidence.  I found myself "outside" of the moment watching it all happen this weekend.  Exciting and bittersweet all at that same time.  I LOVED how he would look back for me and smile when he we met eyes--still wants to know his Mommy is there!
- Time spent at home where it is just us three; all on the floor or outside playing together. 
- Kind words of encouragement from family.  Even as an adult it is so nice to hear "I am proud of you."

Not very happy about---getting gum tissue cut out of my dang mouth today..like in an hour...ooooouch! But, hopefully this will all relieve the pain that has been the right side of my mouth and face for the past month or so.

This is THANKSGIVING week! Great food, time with family and time OFF from work- all things to be thankful for.

Peace out. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment