Thursday, December 8, 2011

Why so many C-sections?

The youtube video I will embed in this post was posted on a friend's facebook status recently.  I have often wondered about the numbers of cesarean births I hear about (including my own).  My own child was born C-section at 39wks 1 day gestation.  I received prenatal care from a midwife group at my local private hospital.  At my 39 week appt, G was found to be in frank breech position after ultrasounds were done (after midwife was like...I don't think that is his head down there anymore.  Me: wth?? tears, tears, tears...)  After u/s were done by an OBGYN my options were given to me: try external version with chance of having emergency c-section; be referred to chiropractor for some adjustments but still possibly face emergency section if I went in to labor and he was still breech OR--- schedule for the next day for planned c-section.  Truth be told---I didn't like ANY of those options.  I was scared, crying and helpless sitting there on that damn examination table.  I chose the option that did not involve the word "emergency."  Sounded like common sense to a scared first-time  mother.

***PUH-LEASE do not think that I don't respect other women's choices to have planned c-sections; I am only speaking from my own experience and what I'd preferred, which was vaginal birth.

I initially started out saying I wanted to give birth completely natural with no drug interventions.  I then took the time to open my mind to the options of using intervention if it meant allowing for more chance of vaginal birth versus c-section; however, I did not plan for a cesarean anywhere in my mind.  It just wasn't something I wanted.  But YES- what I did want in the grand scheme of things was a healthy baby.

Now--on to the video.  While we have heard opinions that the rising number of c-sections in the U.S. may be from upper-class white females desiring "easy" births (um, who says major surgery recovery is easy??)
and scheduling their cesareans- the numbers show that the steep rise in C-sections is not primary influenced by that group of women.

I invite you to watch the entire video and leave a comment for me on your thoughts.

I am happy to say that while I am unable to return to the midwife group due to having had a c-section (when/if I get pregnant again)- I have a wonderful OB/GYN who fully supports a desire for VBAC and has had BOTH of her children vaginally.

I think this issue needs attending to in order to allow for women who do not pre-plan for C-Sections to have  a greater chance at vaginal birth.  Looks like it will take huge persuasion for practice change.

Here it is:



Photobucket


No comments:

Post a Comment